Minor Miracles



I believe in angels. Just throwing that out there. Call them spiritual guides, ghosts, God, universal consciousness, whatever -- I know there's a higher power out there working with me to lead me where I need to go. I don't think everybody needs to believe this; it just works for me.

But like many seekers, I find it hard to dwell in the happy haze of blind faith. I'm constantly searching for affirmative signs from the universe that what I believe true, is indeed true. I mean, I'm not looking for Jesus' face in a grilled cheese or anything, but I do love discovering hints of the divine in the mundane.

So last week I went to get contact lenses. Pretty mundane. I was forewarned by the doc that because of my astigmatism, they'd likely have to order my trial lenses. Which meant waiting. Which I hate.

I sat down with my contact lense instructor, who started searching the drawers for my lenses. After a few minutes of fruitless searching, she muttered that we'd probably have to order them.

Come on, angels, I thought. Have the Goddamn contacts.

She opened the drawer above, sifting through the rows of carefully arranged lenses. "Ah! Got one. You are lucky..." My heart jumped. "Now let's see if we can find the left."

I sighed, instantly disheartened. Knew it was too good to be true. Then, figuring I had nothing to lose, I decided to put my energy towards manifesting that silly contact lense. Angels, find the other lenseI chanted, my silent mantra as she kept searching. Open the other drawer. Funnily, as I thought it, she did it. And a moment later --

"Wow! Oh my gosh, I got it. We never have them." She held it up triumphantly, shaking her head in wonder. "The girl is lucky. Either that, or very blessed. You must have someone watching out for you."

I smiled, thanked my angels, and spent the next 10 minutes poking myself in the eye. (Putting contacts in is hard.)

On the drive home, it struck me once more how anything -- even silly things -- are possible with a little faith and a little extra help. And as I rubbed my palms together and laughed evilly*, I wondered what I should manifest next.

*Disclaimer: I would never actually use manifestation powers for evil. Also, driving while rubbing your hands together? Not recommended by the New Jersey Department of Motor Vehicles.

 
Yoga. Like. Whoa. © 2012 | Designed by Canvas Art, in collaboration with Business Listings , Radio stations and Corporate Office Headquarters